What's better than PBM? PBM and PDT!
Updated: Dec 24, 2021
Resolution of Herpes Simplex in the Nose Wing Region using Photodynamic Therapy and Photobiomodulation Lago ADN et al: June 2018 Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 23 DOI:10.1016/j.pdpdt.2018.06.007
• I was reading this article and thought it would be excellent to share this with our PBM followers on the GMA Laser Education Web Page and social media followers. PDT consists of the interaction of oxygen and a light source unit with the photosensitizer. In this study, it was reported that using PDT mediated by PBM and methylene blue was effective in the treatment of clinical manifestations of HSV-1 on the nose.
I wish that we were able to use the combined PDT and PBM therapy for dentistry in the United States, but not yet.
• The patient reported a significant improvement in itching and burning immediately after the first PDT
• After 24 hours, the patient lesions were already in the crust phase
• Photobiomodulation therapy was then started to accelerate the tissue healing process, energy density of 75 J/cm2 for a total of 12 J of energy divided over the same four points.
• After 48 hours the area affected by the lesion was healing and the patient did not present new lesions.
• PBM regimen was repeated.
• The patient returned for follow-up appointments and after 10 days, the region was completely healed
Just another of the great many benefits of incorporating Photobiomodulation into your practices. Remember our next 8 hour Comprehensive Photobiomodulation Course will be November 6th on the Dental CE Academy. You can register right here on our web site: GMALaserEducation.com. For those of you that would like to receive “Standard Level Certification” in PBM from the Academy of Laser Dentistry, this course fulfills the part 2 hands on requirement. Hope you join us then. Sincerely – Dr. Mel Burchman